Monday, April 30, 2007

We may have a house!

We’ve come to an agreement to purchase a house in troy. It’s an all brick1700 sqft ranch with 3br 1.5ba, a 2 car garage, a full basement a deck, a patio and a nice yard. It was built in 1967 so it predates those shitty 70’s prefabs. The yard is a nice size, 70x140 and it backs up to a wooded lot that will never be developed. The wooded lot behind us is actually someone’s yard. But it’s so big and oddly shaped (125x900) that I don’t think they can do much with it. The rest of the neighbors seem pretty cool.
The house was used as a rental for the last 3 years by a German family. They seem to have taken decent care of the house but they didn’t put a lot of time or energy into the yard. It’s not gross, but it’s getting overgrown and needs the most work. The house itself is in nice shape. Walls are clean and the hardwood floors are in good condition. It doesn’t need any work beyond cleaning out the gutters and putting up a fence. But of course there’s a long list of things we’d like to do.

Clean Gutters
Put up Fence.
Paint house.
Add a door-wall to the library.
Take down wall paper in the library.
Probably add insulation to library.
Replace ceiling in library with dry wall and canister lights.
Add glass block windows.
Paint garage
Clean oil stains from garage floor.
Paint garage floor with gritty ‘shop paint’
Turn half of garage into sawdust and noise factory
Do lots of yard work.
Finish basement
Add better trim to make the house look cool.
Build a better mantel for the fireplace.
Strip paint of off current kitchen cabinets. (maybe replace them. it’s a small kitchen so I might try to build some myself)

that and kids should keep me pretty busy for a LONG while. But I like to do all of that sort of work. So I’m looking forward to it.

No news on project Child2.0. All indications are that the project should be complete but despite the project manager’s best efforts there seems to be some delay on delivery of goods.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Matt McMinn said...

We just closed on our house yesterday. It's nice to be a homeowner again. We're moving back on Friday. I'm probably going to try to get stuff done this weekend, but next week sometime we should all get together to hang out, compare babies, etc. Schlobjar, do you still work at the rental? If so, do you have paint sprayers?

1/5/07 06:06  
Blogger Garble said...

Congrats! Email me your address offline and we’ll try to set it up. We’re still waiting for baby 2.0 so our schedule is very undefined but I’d love to see your new place and compare offspring.

I’ve got my home inspection this afternoon.

1/5/07 07:15  
Blogger Simon Hawk said...

McMinn, what the hell is a "Schlobar"?

1/5/07 07:51  
Blogger Matt McMinn said...

I don't know what a "Schlobar" is, but a "Schlobjar" is a pseudonym for Nick. I know you guys like to not use your real names, but I can't keep up with all the aliases on here, so I make up my own.

1/5/07 08:54  
Blogger Simon Hawk said...

McMinn, have you been "living under a mushroom" or something? I think Ohio has rotted your brain.

1/5/07 09:10  
Blogger Cohort Mandibles said...

By "delay on delivery of goods" are you implying that you're sterile?

1/5/07 09:11  
Blogger Simon Hawk said...

"I don't know what a "Schlobar" is, but a "Schlobjar" is a pseudonym for Nick."

I forgot that McMinn is the captain of the grammer and spelling police. lol.

1/5/07 09:11  
Blogger Garble said...

Cohort Mandibles said...
By "delay on delivery of goods" are you implying that you're sterile?


No you halfwit, I'm implying that the baby is past her due date.

1/5/07 09:31  
Blogger Jim Brannick said...

I think she's just waiting until I get up there.
She wants the baby to see her real father...

1/5/07 10:01  
Blogger Simon Hawk said...

"Ha Ha"

1/5/07 10:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home