Thursday, November 30, 2006

Cancelling things is annoying

So I recently got a Discover card since it's the only credit card that Sam's Club accepts and I refuse to stand in line and write a check like some old lady and hold up the line. Also, I'm not going to use my debit/ATM banking card because you don't get anything for using a debit card, while you get rewards for using certain credit cards. (E.g. Discover gives you cash back).
My shiny new Discover card comes in the mail and I call the number to activate it. Instead of pressing some buttons, it forces me to talk to a real person. Okay, so there's lots of identity theft, etc, so maybe talking to a real-life customer service associate is a good security measure. The guy proceeds to welcome me to Discover card telling me about all the great benefits of being a card hold, blah, blah, blah. Then he tells me I'm automatically enrolled in their credit protection program, which (incidentally) costs $3/month. BUT, I can call and cancel within 30 days and get a full refund. Well, I'm a cheap bastard and I monitor my credit closely and I'm not going to pay somebody for something I can do myself. So I call to cancel. Holy Shit is it hard to get something canceled! I get thru to Nicole (who sounded cute by the way), and she proceeds to run thru a list of reasons why I should keep the credit protection- including that Texas ranks #2 in identity theft, etc. I must have told her "no thanks, please just cancel it" about 10 times. Finally at the end, she offers to lower the cost below $2... "no thanks...", and offers a cheaper version of the protection which sends me a regular credit report... "no thanks, I can already get that for free 3 times per year".
Why do they hassle people so much about this kind of shit?! Now I know how Vincent Ferrari felt when he tried to cancel his AOL account (listen to it here, if you haven't already heard this classic clip).

3 Comments:

Blogger Jack T Briggs said...

I think those assholes should be fired if they don't comply to your wishes the very first time you say, "no thanks." It's almost as if hearing and intelligence has been selectively breeded out of 95% of the population.

30/11/06 10:54  
Blogger Garble said...

Large companies are greedy. Whenever they do things that are obviously going to piss people off i figure they're making bank. That clip is pretty funny btw.

30/11/06 11:02  
Blogger Jim Brannick said...

I wonder if they don't get some sort of bonus based on the number of people they can talk out of canceling?

every time I hear that clip I realize how much that guy sounds exactly like McMinn (audio separated-at-birth).

30/11/06 11:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home