Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Time for less funny

A nice depressing article on the UAW’s reaction and concern to proposed Ford buyouts.

Here are the money quotes:

I don't call them buyouts -- I call them sellouts," said Mario Guerreso, president of UAW Local 245, which represents more than 2,500 Ford workers at various facilities in Dearborn, such as the research and engineering center.

Guerreso, for example, estimated his local would lose $12,000 a month if just 50 of his members took buyouts


He wants Ford to replace retiring orkers with new workers.

"Even if they were thinking of bringing them in at a lower pay scale, or a two-tier pay system, I wouldn't have any problem with that," he said.

Workers who are eager to retire early or move on to careers less turbulent than those in the domestic auto industry say they are upset with their union leaders for taking this stance.

It’s pretty clear that the union’s priority is not as much with the members as it is with the dues they pay. Nice.

5 Comments:

Blogger Simon Hawk said...

It's always about the money. I can't believe this doesn't surprise you Garb's. Nobody cares about anything else these days.

23/8/06 10:29  
Blogger Garble said...

It's just rare when someone that claims to be trying to 'help' or look out for the little guy comes out and admits it. You expect that out of a company. They admit it. They're out to make as much money as legally possible. Unions aren't that honest. Plus, who gets that 12K? I know where a companies profits go. Where do union profits go?

23/8/06 10:47  
Blogger Simon Hawk said...

Yeah, usually they try pretty hard to hide the fact that they don't actually give a shit about the little guy. My uneducated position on all this is that I don't trust or like any of it. I wish people gave a shit.

23/8/06 11:04  
Blogger Jack T Briggs said...

My father is an unwilling member of the union at Ford. He says they've ALWAYS been corrupt and cared more about their dues and politics more than anything else. He also said that the people who run it are "douche-bags." His words.

24/8/06 05:47  
Blogger Jim Brannick said...

Here's my opinion:
I was once an unwilling member of the UAW as well. The two summers I worked at the V-8 plant, I HAD to join the union. I think the worst part was watching fat-ass committee men strut up and down the aisles with their bag of donuts and giant mug of coffee. That was about the extent of their job. I have no idea how much they got paid to do that, but I'm guessing it would make you sick if you found out.

As far as unions in general, I think they had their time... back in 1935. With all the protection that laborers receive from organizations like OSHA (not a fan, btw) what is the point of a union in modern times?- other than extortion.

24/8/06 06:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home