Friday, June 02, 2006


On wednsday, I got back from my trip to New York. I picked up my truck without any problem (a little running around to find the NY DMV so I could legally transport it back to Michigan). It runs strong, drives straight, and shifts fine, needs new springs pretty bad, the speedo indicates 10 mph faster than actual at highway speeds... "Why are all these semi trucks passing me when I'm doing 80?" and the front brakes don't work so well. It goes way rich when the secondary opens on the carburetor so I'm thinking that the vacuum advance on the distributor isn't working right, and lastly it has too small (in diameter) of an exhaust system. Other than that it’s pretty fun to drive.

2 Comments:

Blogger Garble said...

Sweet, John R springs (not on John R but close) can probably set you up with a new set for 400-500. The brakes will be an easy fix and a nice shiny exhaust will help it sell. (once you get it to stop playing dixie. If you want to sell in the big D you'll need to update it's horn.)I can't wait to see it.

2/6/06 17:41  
Blogger NDammitt said...

Yeah, John R. Spring & Tire is on Dequinder, funny that.

The dixie needs to go, a real horn that I can use from the steering wheel where it should be used from and not from a switch on the bottom of the dash, where it is.

I'm going to take it to my dad's friend, Rob, on Sunday. Rob has a 4 point lift in his garage and does car work on the side for extra cash. I'll have him go over it to see what is really wrong, and bleed the piss out of the breaks while he's at it.

I think that I'm going to replace all the rubber bushings and sundries with the suspension, they're probably all 35 years old and non-existant, so that will go a long way to stopping the rattle.

Headers for a bigbolck Ford are pretty expensive, anywhere from 150.00 to 800.00 for the ultra cool drag thingies. So I'll keep my eyes peeled on ebay for some used that won't break the bank.

I'm going to steam clean the interior this weekend, weather permitting, to get rid of the 'old truck' smell.

2/6/06 19:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home