Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Quality assay. (I originally had Quality analysis, but Simon bitched about ANALysis. What a tool).

I was bored one day, so I decided to conduct my own quality assay on the Gamecube videogames. I had two copies of Robotech, so I put one copy through the rigorous Cohort Test of Hell. First I tried my own version of myth busting by sticking the cd into the microwave. This is my first time doing that, and rumor has it cd's will explode. Not in the case of the Gamecube cd. I put it in there on High for 10 seconds and it came out in pristine shape. Slightly bemused, I went for another approach: magnets. I rubbed a magnet across the surface that gets read by the laser, and across the opposing side. Nothing more than a few scratches, and the game runs perfect. Not knowing what else to do, I just soaked it in good old gasoline for a few minutes. I don't know what this was supposed to accomplish, (maybe the laser lighting it on fire?) but it wasn't effective. I came to the conclusion that other than shattering the disc into millions of unuseable pieces, that it is in fact indestructible, and held to the highest quality standards that Nintendo is always known for.

4 Comments:

Blogger Garble said...

I’m pretty sure that they’re not indestructible. Have you tried loaning them to a friend? I used to hang out with a guy that was infamous for damaging CD’s. The joke was that he and his brothers used them for coasters and grinding tools.

24/1/06 12:59  
Blogger Cohort Mandibles said...

The indestructible was obviously and exaggeration, but you get the point. Gamecube games are pretty tough, I bet they could survive harsh coaster-use environments.

24/1/06 13:01  
Blogger NDammitt said...

Do you really understand how a microwave oven works?

26/1/06 16:43  
Blogger Garble said...

Given enough exposure time the microwaves will heat us a disk enough to damage it.

26/1/06 21:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home