Sunday, May 21, 2006

Clutter

Baby toys are everywhere in the living room. We really don't have a good place to put them. (says the wife) Being an engineer, i've designed a solution.


The box size is 36x48,12. I'm going to make it out of red oak and stain it dark. I'm planning to use rabbits for the joinery at the shelf ends and corners. I can make it out of s4s boards from manards. The only tools I'll need are a radial arm saw (with miter for the trim), a router and clamps, (LOTS of clamps). I'm stilling thinking about how I want to do the top. I'll probably just use a 14x4 piece of board. But it would look sharp with some nice oak burl. I'm going to start it after memorial day. It should take about 12 hours + finish time. More pictures and notes as progress happens.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cohort Mandibles said...

Be sure to only use quality parts in building this. Just because you're an engineer and can use velcro to hold Corvettes together, doesn't mean you can do that with this shelf.

22/5/06 05:28  
Blogger Garble said...

Simon
All the toys won't fit in the shelf. But we'll be able to get most of the little ones off of the floor. The wife wants baskets to put the toys in. She went to the store and got me the basket sizes so I know the baskets will fit in the shelves. We’re set there. I'm going to take a before and after picture for the area in question.

Cohort, you’re an idiot. Reread the post. I told you how I was going to hold it together.

22/5/06 05:48  
Blogger Cohort Mandibles said...

I was just making sure. I know how you engineer types like to take shortcuts.

22/5/06 05:52  
Blogger Simon Hawk said...

Sounds cool man, sketch up a nice Isometric view for all the none draftsmen with floor and wall lines. haha. Since you're not busy with work.

22/5/06 06:35  
Blogger Garble said...

I did this up over the weekend. No isometric, but I am going to make plans. I'll take a picture of them and post the plans when they're done. That was done in excell with the draw tool, so i'm not really using state of the art drafting tools.

22/5/06 06:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home