Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Good Fantasy Books

I was emailed the following from nirvana:


Since you two are the only other Hollyites I know that read fantasy novels
(or even books, period), I was wondering if either of you had read "A Game
of Thrones" by George R.R. Martin. I'm considering starting a new fantasy
book series, and this is one of the candidates. It was released in 1996, is
the first of a projected 6 book series, and won best fantasy novel of the
year or something like that. Any recommendation would be appreciated. Also,
if there is another high fantasy series that is good, please let me know.
Thanks,

Siddhartha

I've read the first two books in the series and they're excellent; gritty with a strong attention to detail. The plots are driven more by an adherence to believability than to narrative necessity. The only downside is that there’s a lot going on and it can be a bit much to keep track of it all. I found it hard to remember what happened in book one while reading book two. I’m waiting until all six are published before I get back into it.

The last good fiction book I read was
S.M. Stirling’s “Fies the Fire.” And it’s squeal “The Protector’s war”
I also recommend anything Discworld related if you don’t want to have to pay much attention.
On the Sci-Fi side “Old Man’s War” by John Scalzi is good, but short. “Forever War” By Haldman is also a pretty good read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home